Matt is an author and historian of the medieval period, with a particular interest in the Wars of the Roses and Richard III. He has written biographies of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine, Henry III, Richard Duke of York, and Richard III.
Retracing the fascinating rediscovery of King Richard III
Back in 2012, the rediscovery of the remains of King Richard III under a car park captivated the world. In October 2023, join a two-night, expert-led history-themed break to learn more about the life and death of this fascinating warrior king and the events that led to his unceremonious burial, lost to history until science and archaeology joined forces to rediscover his remains.
Over two full days, you'll visit key places of King Richard III's life and death, from the castle where he was born to the battlefield where he died during the grisly Battle of Bosworth. An impressive Visitor Centre at the site of the car park burial is dedicated to the life of King Richard III. It reveals fascinating detail about how experts solved the puzzle of King Richard III's burial, which ultimately led to the discovery of a battle-scarred skeleton under the car park.
You'll learn how scientists and archaeologists used DNA and the latest developments in forensic science to confirm the identity of the remains and see the Murder, Mystery and Mayhem exhibition dedicated to the Wars of Roses and the remarkable stories behind the Houses of York and Lancaster.
You'll stay in comfort at the four-star Hilton Leicester for your two-night break, with dinner included on both nights and breakfasts on both mornings (extra nights available at a supplement). Throughout the trip, you'll travel in the company of Matt Lewis, who'll give exceptional insight into a captivating era of British history.
Reasons to book
An unmissable opportunity for history fans
Visit key locations
Hear from subject experts
Stay in comfort in Leicester
Plenty of inclusions
Meet like-minded enthusiasts
Your expert guide
- Two nights at the four-star Hilton Leicester on a bed and breakfast, based on shared occupancy of a twin or double room (extra nights available at a supplement)
- Welcome reception with History Hit presenter, Matt Lewis
- Talk from Matthew Morris
- Private three-course dinner with wine on the first night
- Second three-course dinner with tea and coffee in the hotel restaurant
- All talks, guided tours, admissions
- Coach transfers and tour manager throughout
- History Hit presenter Matt Lewis will travel with the group for the duration of the tour
Day1Arrive in LeicesterLeicester, United Kingdom
Your trip begins at the Hilton Leicester, where you'll have time to settle into your guestroom before joining your group for a welcome reception and dinner. You'll meet Matt Lewis, History Hit presenter, who'll give an insightful talk about what's in store over the next couple of days.
Day2Fortheringhay, Oundle, Kirby Muxloe CastleLeicester, United Kingdom
Please note the itinerary below is for 2024 departures. For 2023 departures, days 2 and 3 are switched.
The day begins with a visit to lovely Fotheringhay to see the Castle ruins, where Richard was born in 1452 and where Mary Queen of Scots was executed. There will also be a visit to St Mary & All Saints Church nearby.
Next, we travel to the lovely village of Oundle. On arrival to Oundle you will have free time for lunch (not included).
Before returning to Leicester, we make a short visit to Kirby Muxloe Castle, begun by William Hastings during the Wars of the Roses. The fortified residence was not completed due to Hastings' execution by Richard for treason in 1483.
After returning to the hotel (at around 5pm), you will enjoy pre-dinner drinks with Matt Lewis (drinks not included). Before dinner, you'll enjoy a talk by Matthew Morris, who supervised the successful archaeological search for the lost grave of King Richard III - 'Richard III: The King under the Car Park - solving a 500-year-old mystery'
Day3Richard III Visitor Centre, Bosworth Visitor Centre and BattlefieldLeicester, United Kingdom
Please note the itinerary below is for 2024 departures. For 2023 departures, days 2 and 3 are switched and there is no visit to the Cathedral as it is closed for refurbishment.
First up today is a visit to the Richard III Visitor Centre and exhibition. Here, you will be guided through the dramatic story of the king's life, his brutal death and the fascinating story of his rediscovery.
Then it's onwards to Leicester Cathedral to see the tomb of Richard lll . A cathedral guide will cover the events of Richard III's reinterment in 2015, the design of his tomb and the redemption windows within the Cathedral. They will also cover 'Leicester Cathedral Revealed' - Leicester Cathedral reopens at the end of 2023 having undergone extensive works to repair and restore the Cathedral and to improve visitor facilities such as The Chapter House and a new Visitor and Education Centre.
After free time for lunch in Leicester (not included), we travel to Bosworth to explore the visitor centre, which gives an insight into medieval life through film, displays and artefacts. Our last visit of the day will be to the battlefield where Richard was killed, with commentary from Matt from the coach, as we travel around key locations.
After returning to the hotel, you are free to depart at your leisure.
Brought to you by
* From price is per person, based on two people sharing a room, subject to availability. Price and itinerary correct at time of print but may be subject to change. Single supplement applies. SINGLE OCCUPANCY ON REQUEST ONLY, PLEASE CALL FOR DETAILS. Deposit £75pp. Local charges such as tourist tax may apply. In the case of unforeseen circumstances, expert(s) may be substituted, and any expert-led events may be subject to change. Expert(s) will not join you for your full trip duration unless otherwise stated. Travel insurance is not included and should be taken out at time of booking. Images used may not reflect your actual tour experience. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. This holiday may be sold through other selected brands. Tour is operated by and subject to the booking conditions of TS Travel Ltd.